A History of Excellence. A Future of Success.
Since 1979, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology has been a leader in the educational field of psychology and related behavioral sciences. All the while maintaining a staunch commitment to professional excellence and a dogged desire to serving the thousands of men and women we proudly call our students.
1977 – A pioneering group of practicing psychologists sets out to create an institution of higher learning dedicated solely to applied psychology.
1979 – The Chicago School of Professional Psychology is founded.
• With guidance from the Midwestern Psychology Development Foundation, the nonprofit school
receives degree-granting authority from the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
• The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA)
awards Candidate for Accreditation Status to The Chicago School.
• The Chicago School establishes a permanent campus at the Fine Arts Building on Michigan Avenue in
1984 – The Chicago School achieves full accreditation.
1986 – The school relocates to the historic Dearborn Station in Chicago’s South Loop.
1988 – The American Psychological Association (APA) grants the school’s Clinical Psychology Doctorate
program Provisional Accreditation.
1992 – The Clinical Psychology Doctorate program gains full accreditation by the APA.
2004 – The Chicago School opens its downtown Chicago campus.
2006 – The school expands its on-ground degree programs to include an Ed.S. in School Psychology.
2007 – The Chicago School launches its Online Campus with new degree and certificate programs.
2008 – The school opens its first campus on the West Coast in Southern California. The Chicago School
also acquires the California Graduate Institute, which was founded in 1968 as the nation’s first
nonprofit independent psychology school.
• The school’s Center for Latino Mental Health receives the American Psychiatric Foundation Award
• The Washington, D.C. Campus of The Chicago School of Professional Psychology opens.
• The Chicago School receives 2010 Engagement Classification from The Carnegie Foundation for the
Advancement of Teaching.
Learn more about the distinguished history of The Chicago School: Call us today at (866) 907-4209 or request more information.