Nearly half a billion people around the globe suffer from a mental health condition, yet only a fraction of them have access to the psychological help they need to cope. International psychology professionals seek to change that reality. They may conduct research to better understand socio-cultural differences, provide culturally competent mental health services to underserved populations or those suffering due to cultural crises or natural disasters, launch grassroots initiatives to improve access to services, advocate and raise awareness about international mental health needs, or work with immigrant and refugee populations both at home and abroad.
Ph.D. in International Psychology
• A three year, post-master’s program—offered in both an online-blended and an online/blended format.
• Students choose one of two concentrations.
- Organizations and Systems, which is offered online-blended
- Trauma Services, which is offered in a “blended” format that includes both online-blended classes
and one weekend in Chicago during each of the four concentration-related courses
• Students engage in two nine-day international field experiences (one in year two and another in year
three) as well as two required weekend residencies that focus on research and dissertation
• Program is particularly appropriate for professionals who work or desire to work for multinational
corporations, international non-governmental organizations, intergovernmental organizations (e.g. UN
organizations), governmental agencies, and faith based organizations with international missions.
• Graduates are equipped with advanced research and program evaluation skills coupled with a rich
appreciation for the individual and group consequences of global events—preparing them to apply
psychological principles in the development of policy; assist individuals and organizations with
understanding and collaborating with diverse cultural populations and all levels of international
organizations and functional systems; and design and evaluate the efficacy of international
This website describes only our online-blended programs. For info about our on-ground programs, please call us at (866) 907-4209 or visit our main website at The Chicago School.